Monday, March 29, 2010

Friendship changing over time

I am now almost 34 and have seen relationships changing over a period of time, especially with with friends. I have been thinking for the last few years and a few observations.

I grew up in a small town and had to go out for studies from 11th class as there was no facility in my town. i maintained close relationships with my school friends for the next 3 -4 years. however, once i got into IIT and into IIT culture, i could not relate to them much. i realised my thinking process was very different from their's. e.g. like a typical north indian, they will boast of their achievement out of proportion while IIT culture supresses this boastment (as there is always somebody better than you in IIT in something).

I was very close to many of my IIT friends. Most of them went to jobs in diferent cities and different countries. So distance restricted the relationships. Many of them went to ivy league business schools and started believing that some of them are superior. So, this feeling of a better mba degree put strains in the relationship. Today some of them earn more than me and they think they are better off . again this brought differences in relationship.

Then comes the MBA. I had thought that people also make friends in mba. these are actually acquitances and no more than that. many reasons for that. Post mba, once settled in profession, people get married and start families. so focus shifts to family. many times, people dont value relationships e.g. not turning up for functions despite repeated invitations. many you provide professional help / introduce to opportunities, but they never appreciate the help.. and so on.

heart to heart, i think friends remain friends, some way or other. and the friendship remains.

1 comment:

Nature is smiling said...

I believe it takes two hands to clap, and many a time one gives up when you find the other one either not too interested in reciprocating your overtures.

In today's generation, as people's focus is predominantly on the short-term they miss out on the bigger picture and miss out on the real joys and pleasures of life (of which friendship is one).

I can remember the nostalgic memories that my parents shared of their friendships that sustained over the ages. And proof of that was when my father's earliest neighbours in his new city of 60 years back came to offer their condolences when he passed away...

Time changes, but we have the power to change ourselves do our bit to positively influence the world without giving up hope!

Regards......Ravi Iyer